All activities in Northeast Friesland
121 to 144 of 324 results
-
Public primary school
Public primary school Hurdegaryp
-
Metslawier (Mitselwier)
Metslawier (Mitselwier) Metslawier
-
Craft cotton printing factory, Kleine Lijn
Craft cotton printing factory, Kleine Lijn Blije
-
BinnenInn 12-Person House
BinnenInn 12-Person House Metslawier
-
De Roskam
De Roskam
There was a time when Kollum boasted no fewer than sixteen establishments, ranging from pubs and cafés to inns and lodging houses. De Roskam has always been one of them.
Those who remember Kollum in the last century may still picture the signboard of landlord Bonne Hof: a stout little man in swimming trunks with bright red cheeks. According to local tradition, Bonne Hof gathered the sweet flag plants used in his own homemade Kalmus Berenburg from the nearby Alde Swimmer. During the 1950s, Kollum Berenburg was a popular local drink. Another story concerns his father, Sietse Jan, whose croquettes were said to be so delicious that people travelled all the way from Groningen and Leeuwarden to taste them.
Many more colourful stories surround De Roskam. During a German raid in the Second World War, the notary Wassenberg is said to have hidden in the attic, only to crash through the ceiling while still sitting on his chair. Another tale dates from 1952, when the chauffeur of the King's Commissioner, Linthorst Homan, misplaced his cap after spending the night at De Roskam. At first, it was considered a major scandal, and the cap was thought to have been stolen. The commissioner left Kollum in great anger. In the end, however, the cap was simply found and carefully returned by courier by the people of Kollum.
Kollum
-
TOP Trynwâlden
TOP Trynwâlden Aldtsjerk
-
St. Paul's Church in Aldtsjerk
St. Paul's Church in Aldtsjerk Aldtsjerk
-
Wadloopcentrum Fryslân
Wadloopcentrum Fryslân Rinsumageest
-
National Park 'De Alde Feanen'
National Park 'De Alde Feanen' Earnewâld
-
Sparkberry
Sparkberry Burgum
-
Sytzama House
Sytzama House
What is now a grand café has a history closely connected with local government, the Second World War, and Baron Willem van Sytzama, the building's first owner, after whom it is named.
In Van Sytzama's time, there were very few buildings nearby. Instead, a large landscaped garden with extensive ponds stretched out behind the house. Baron Willem van Sytzama believed he was happily married to Cecilia van Heemskerk, but she left him for another man. Although the baron took legal action in an attempt to prevent the separation, he was unsuccessful. She never returned, and he never remarried. In later years, however, the building served as Kollum's town hall, where hundreds of marriages were celebrated.
During the Second World War, Mayor Gerben Feitsma was sworn into office in this building. The ceremony took place with prominent displays of flags and the Nazi salute. For that reason, Feitsma is often described as an NSB (Dutch National Socialist Movement) mayor. At the same time, there is evidence that he occasionally helped prevent residents of Kollum from being sent to Germany for forced labour by employing them on his farm. Because of his wartime record, his name is not always included in historical accounts.
His brother, Jan Feitsma, became notorious for a different reason. As Prosecutor General, he ordered signs reading "Jews Forbidden" to be displayed throughout the occupied Netherlands. The policy caused considerable controversy in Kollum during the war. The local tennis club preferred to close its courts rather than display such a sign. In early 1945, Jan Feitsma was shot dead by members of the Dutch Resistance. His funeral in Kollum was attended by numerous members of the SS.
Kollum
-
Voedselbos de Iest
Voedselbos de Iest Sumar
-
The Former Weigh House
The Former Weigh House
A look at old photographs reveals that the building looks even more attractive today than its predecessor. The people of Kollum have taken good care of this historic landmark. The weigh house was a public building where goods could be officially weighed. Its presence was particularly important for trade in butter and cheese.
A public weigh house in Kollum is first mentioned in the 16th century. That original building stood next to the Rechthuis (courthouse). In 1779, a new weigh house was built here on the Westerdiepswal, at the heart of the bustling waterfront. The wide entrance to the former weighing hall, where two weighing scales were once installed, can still be clearly recognised in the façade.
The pediment above the façade bears the coats of arms and names, added in 1779, of grietman (district magistrate) Martinus van Scheltinga, his deputy Focke Hijlckes Eskes, and Albert Luitjens, who served together with Eskes as church warden. The building was owned by the Dutch Reformed Church, which leased out the weigh house. In 1871 it was sold to a private owner, after which an official weighmaster appointed by the municipality supervised its operation. With the rise of the dairy industry in Friesland, the weigh house gradually lost its function. In 1895, the building was converted into a private residence.
Kollum
-
Swimming Pool De Sawn Doarpen
Swimming Pool De Sawn Doarpen Gytsjerk
-
Jachthaven Kuikhorne
Jachthaven Kuikhorne De Westereen
-
Kleine-Lijn Tea Garden
Kleine-Lijn Tea Garden Blije
-
Jannum Church Museum
Jannum Church Museum Jannum
-
De Leiker
De Leiker Ryptsjerk
-
Eastermar Bathing and Play Area
Eastermar Bathing and Play Area Eastermar
-
Wellness op e' Klaai
Wellness op e' Klaai Holwert
-
Ee (Ie)
Ee (Ie) Ie
-
Wad'n Hûs
Wad'n Hûs Kollum
-
Dijktempel (dike temple) at Marrum
Dijktempel (dike temple) at Marrum Marrum
-
TOP Feanwâlden
TOP Feanwâlden Feanwâlden