Location
289 to 320 of 359 results
-
Mearkas
Mearkas Eastermar
-
Sloop rental Burdaard
Sloop rental Burdaard Burdaard
-
Fries Landbouwmuseum (Frisian Agricultural Museum)
Fries Landbouwmuseum (Frisian Agricultural Museum) Leeuwarden
-
St. Catherine's Church Aalsum
St. Catherine's Church Aalsum Aalsum
-
St. Nicholas Church Eastrum (Oostrum)
St. Nicholas Church Eastrum (Oostrum) Oostrum
-
City Brewery and Bonifatius754 Museum
City Brewery and Bonifatius754 Museum Dokkum
-
Noarderleech Visitor Centre
Noarderleech Visitor Centre Hallum
-
The Former Weigh House
The Former Weigh House
A look at old photographs reveals that the building looks even more attractive today than its predecessor. The people of Kollum have taken good care of this historic landmark. The weigh house was a public building where goods could be officially weighed. Its presence was particularly important for trade in butter and cheese.
A public weigh house in Kollum is first mentioned in the 16th century. That original building stood next to the Rechthuis (courthouse). In 1779, a new weigh house was built here on the Westerdiepswal, at the heart of the bustling waterfront. The wide entrance to the former weighing hall, where two weighing scales were once installed, can still be clearly recognised in the façade.
The pediment above the façade bears the coats of arms and names, added in 1779, of grietman (district magistrate) Martinus van Scheltinga, his deputy Focke Hijlckes Eskes, and Albert Luitjens, who served together with Eskes as church warden. The building was owned by the Dutch Reformed Church, which leased out the weigh house. In 1871 it was sold to a private owner, after which an official weighmaster appointed by the municipality supervised its operation. With the rise of the dairy industry in Friesland, the weigh house gradually lost its function. In 1895, the building was converted into a private residence.
Kollum
-
Regional Walkway Noardlike Fryske Wâlden
Regional Walkway Noardlike Fryske Wâlden Noordoost Friesland
-
BinnenInn 12-Person House
BinnenInn 12-Person House Metslawier
-
Nature- and culture Park Vijversburg
Nature- and culture Park Vijversburg Tytsjerk
-
Bennema State
Bennema State Hurdegaryp
-
Grill Restaurant Gewoan op 'e Dyk
Grill Restaurant Gewoan op 'e Dyk Dokkum
-
Camper site Dokkum
Camper site Dokkum Dokkum
-
Village Garden Snakkerburen
Village Garden Snakkerburen Snakkerburen
-
Sint Willibrorduskerk
Sint Willibrorduskerk Holwerd
-
Holwerterpolder at Noard Fryslân Butendyks Nature Reserve
Holwerterpolder at Noard Fryslân Butendyks Nature Reserve Holwerd
-
it Dreamlân groupaccommodation
it Dreamlân groupaccommodation Kollumerpomp
Direct boekbaar
-
Bartlehiem Bridge - Elfstedentocht
Bartlehiem Bridge - Elfstedentocht Wânswert
-
Schreiershoek Treehouse
Schreiershoek Treehouse Oostrum
-
Metslawier (Mitselwier)
Metslawier (Mitselwier) Metslawier
-
De Groote Wielen
De Groote Wielen Leeuwarden
-
Mill de Swarte Prinsch
Mill de Swarte Prinsch Tytsjerk
-
Skrins - Bird watching cabin
Skrins - Bird watching cabin Hinnaard
-
Minicamping De Zilveren Maan
Minicamping De Zilveren Maan De Westereen
-
Alexander Church Rinsumageast
Alexander Church Rinsumageast Rinsumageast
-
Thermen & Beauty Leeuwerikhoeve
Thermen & Beauty Leeuwerikhoeve Burgum
-
Sanjes Safari
Sanjes Safari Feanwâlden
Tip
-
Dekema State
Dekema State Jelsum
-
Grou
Grou Grou
-
Former Courthouse
Former Courthouse
This building, now used as a shop, recalls the time when justice was administered in Kollum. It was purchased by the municipality in 1609 and has served a variety of purposes ever since. The Old Courthouse (Oude Rechthuis) played an important role during the Kollum Uprising of 1797.
The building was bought by the municipality of Kollumerland in 1609 and converted into a courthouse. It can be recognised by the statue of Lady Justice, which still watches over the street from the façade. The Rechthuis is the oldest stone building in Kollum.
Kollum was given its own courthouse because the distance between Groningen and Leeuwarden was too great to travel in a single day. The ground floor was used as an inn and even included stables for horses and cattle. To this day, the space has continued to serve a variety of purposes.
The Rechthuis played a significant role during the Kollum Uprising of 1797. In February of that year, the arrest of the Orangist supporter Abele Reitzes sparked an uprising in which a crowd stormed the courthouse in an attempt to free him. The revolt resulted in extensive damage and was harshly suppressed, with 168 people being arrested. You can learn more about these events at the statue of Jan Binnes further along this route. The prison cell in the building's basement has been preserved. From the bridge, you can still clearly see the small barred window of the former jail cell.
Kollum
-
Dokkum Ballooning
Dokkum Ballooning Dokkum