Location
321 to 352 of 367 results
-
Church of Brantgum
Church of Brantgum Brantgum
-
Villa Nova
Villa Nova Hurdegaryp
-
Leeuwarden (Ljouwert)
Leeuwarden (Ljouwert) Leeuwarden
-
Bonkevaart - Elfstedentocht Finish Line
Bonkevaart - Elfstedentocht Finish Line Leeuwarden
-
Former Infant School
Former Infant School
At the intersection of Voorstraat and Meester Andreaestraat stands the former bewaarschool, or infant school. A bewaarschool was a form of pre-school education in the Netherlands and Belgium during the 19th and early 20th centuries.
The infant school was intended for children between the ages of about three and six, before they entered primary school. The Dutch name literally means a place where children were “looked after” while their parents were at work. In practice, they received basic education, learning skills such as listening, counting, and playing together under supervision. The bewaarschool is regarded as the forerunner of today's daycare centres and preschool programmes.
The infant school in Kollum dates from 1828 and is located on the eastern side of the village. At that time, just as on the western side of Voorstraat, the area around the school was home to many small businesses and craftspeople. There was a farmer with a small slaughterhouse, carpenters lived and worked here, and there was a combined butcher's shop and livestock business, as well as a steam-powered grain mill with an animal feed business. The neighbourhood also included a small wholesale dealer in butter, cheese and buttermilk supplied by the factory at Dokkumer Nieuwezijlen, a liquor store, a blacksmith's workshop and a tailor's shop. On the opposite side of the street from the infant school stood a grocery store and a cigar shop.
Kollum
-
Bennema State
Bennema State Hurdegaryp
-
St. Mary's Church in Oentsjerk
St. Mary's Church in Oentsjerk Oentsjerk
-
Schwarzenbergerbos Forest
Schwarzenbergerbos Forest Noardburgum
-
The Former Weigh House
The Former Weigh House
A look at old photographs reveals that the building looks even more attractive today than its predecessor. The people of Kollum have taken good care of this historic landmark. The weigh house was a public building where goods could be officially weighed. Its presence was particularly important for trade in butter and cheese.
A public weigh house in Kollum is first mentioned in the 16th century. That original building stood next to the Rechthuis (courthouse). In 1779, a new weigh house was built here on the Westerdiepswal, at the heart of the bustling waterfront. The wide entrance to the former weighing hall, where two weighing scales were once installed, can still be clearly recognised in the façade.
The pediment above the façade bears the coats of arms and names, added in 1779, of grietman (district magistrate) Martinus van Scheltinga, his deputy Focke Hijlckes Eskes, and Albert Luitjens, who served together with Eskes as church warden. The building was owned by the Dutch Reformed Church, which leased out the weigh house. In 1871 it was sold to a private owner, after which an official weighmaster appointed by the municipality supervised its operation. With the rise of the dairy industry in Friesland, the weigh house gradually lost its function. In 1895, the building was converted into a private residence.
Kollum
-
Waddenzee-Expedities
Waddenzee-Expedities Metslawier
-
Tour de Wadden
Tour de Wadden Lauwersoog
-
Drogehamstermieden Nature Reserve
Drogehamstermieden Nature Reserve Drogeham
-
EAstay apartment 2
EAstay apartment 2 Eastermar
-
Viewpoint De Zoutkegel
Viewpoint De Zoutkegel Ie
-
Eeltsjemar Lake Beach
Eeltsjemar Lake Beach Rinsumageast
-
it Dreamlân holiday home
it Dreamlân holiday home Kollumerpomp
Direct boekbaar
-
Bartlehiem (Bartlehiem)
Bartlehiem (Bartlehiem) Bartlehiem
-
Age Veldboom Sailing Activities
Age Veldboom Sailing Activities Earnewâld
-
De Waard van Napels
De Waard van Napels Dokkum
-
Sneek (Snits)
Sneek (Snits) Sneek
-
Restaurant It Posthûs
Restaurant It Posthûs Burdaard
-
Steenbakkerij Oostrum
Steenbakkerij Oostrum Oostrum
-
Mem Wedman Hiking Trail
Mem Wedman Hiking Trail Buitenpost
-
Pucks Pluktuin l flower-picking garden
Pucks Pluktuin l flower-picking garden
New
Sumar -
De HerdersHoeve
De HerdersHoeve Noardburgum
-
Terp fan de Takomst
Terp fan de Takomst Blije
-
Grill Restaurant Gewoan op 'e Dyk
Grill Restaurant Gewoan op 'e Dyk Dokkum
-
Visitor's Center 'Terp Hegebeintum'
Visitor's Center 'Terp Hegebeintum' Hegebeintum
-
Greenjoy Earnewâld
Greenjoy Earnewâld Earnewâld
-
Skûtsjemuseum Earnewâld
Skûtsjemuseum Earnewâld Earnewâld
-
Schuilenburg Beach
Schuilenburg Beach Drogeham
-
Headmaster Jakob Klok in the resistance
Headmaster Jakob Klok in the resistance
During the war, Jakob (Jaap) Klok ended up in the resistance in Dantumadeel, where he played an important role. At the time, he lived with his wife and four children in Akkerwoude, where he was headmaster of the school at Hearewei 13. He stayed there until 1947 and will always be remembered as "Headmaster Klok."
Jaap Klok was active socially and in politics as a member of the Dutch Social Democratic Labour Party (SDAP). When party meetings were banned by the German occupiers, Jaap imperceptibly became ever more involved in resistance activities. He passed on party information, distributed illegal newspapers, and looked for addresses for people in hiding. Jaap Klok joined the LO, the National Organisation for Aid to people in Hiding, and became the Akkerwoude village commander.
Although people did not know exactly what he did, it was known that he was in the resistance. Despite the fact that his name circulated among NSB members, he decided not to go into hiding, but instead tried to be even more careful and to sleep at home more often than not.
As the war drew to a close, Jaap became very busy. The Dutch government in exile was calling on railway workers to go on strike. The resistance arranged for the hiding. On 15 December 1944, a group of about sixty refugees from Arnhem arrived at his school. Jaap was indirectly involved in the evacuation committee, which was looking for addresses for the unfortunate Arnhem residents.
Shortly thereafter, he was warned at the schoolhouse that during a raid in Murmerwoude, explicit questions were asked about schoolmaster Klok. Jaap did not hesitate a second and quickly left the house. And not a moment too soon, as ten minutes after his departure the Germans were already on his doorstep. From that moment on, Jaap knew that he had to be very careful. He hardly ever slept at home anymore.
From January 1945 onwards, the situation became explosive. After the discovery of weapons on a farm in Aalsum, the Germans became fanatical. They relentlessly hunted down resistance fighters and used any means to make those who were caught talk. The name "Jaap Klok" was also mentioned during these interrogations. Sufficient reason to leave then and there, with his whole family. The children stayed with relatives. He and his wife went into hiding elsewhere.
During the last weeks of the war, Jaap was very busy. Much had to be organised and discussed within the resistance to expel the Germans and prepare for the arrival of the Canadians. Just before Dantumadeel was liberated, the inhabitants were already beside themselves with joy. They raised the flag and took to the streets en masse to celebrate. Because of his resistance work, Jaap knew exactly what the situation was with regard to the liberation. He climbed onto the balcony of the town hall and addressed the people. After all, the danger had not yet passed. Even when that was the case shortly thereafter, he ensured that peace was maintained among the population of Dantumadeel and thus prevented the molestation of a number of NSB members.
After the war, he held many administrative positions in the province of Friesland. In 1984, Jaap Klok died at the age of 91. Fifteen years later, a statue of him was erected in Akkerwoude, which was then called Damwoude, as a tribute.
From the book "De oorlog een gezicht geven" (deel 6) – Dantumadeel in de periode '40 - '45 by Yvonne te Nijenhuis and Reinder H. Postma
Damwald