Location
65 to 96 of 268 results
-
De Kruisweg
De Kruisweg Damwâld
-
Bij De Pastorie Boutique Hotel
Bij De Pastorie Boutique Hotel Reitsum
-
Old Town Hall in Dokkum
Old Town Hall in Dokkum Dokkum
-
Hotel It Posthûs
Hotel It Posthûs Burdaard
-
Fries Landbouwmuseum (Frisian Agricultural Museum)
Fries Landbouwmuseum (Frisian Agricultural Museum) Leeuwarden
-
Seventy evacuees from Arnhem and Limburg
Seventy evacuees from Arnhem and Limburg
The grave monument in Gytsjerkwas erected in memory of Maria v/d Heuij. Maria was one of seventy evacuees from Arnhem and Limburg who arrived in Gytsjerk on 22 January 1945. Maria died a day later, just a few months old. The harsh conditions during the trip had proved fatal to her. Maria did not live to see the liberation. Fortunately, many of the other evacuees with whom she undertook the journey did.
Symbolism
The monument's spiritual father, artist Klaas Bokma, chose two carts because this was the means of transport often used by evacuees. The four withered trees symbolise death. The cross is not only a symbol of the Christian faith, but also a reminder of the sacrifice made by war victims for a life of freedom.
The oldest pupils of Ichtus and Thrimwalda primary schools take care of this monument.
Gytsjerk
-
Lanterfanter
Lanterfanter Kollumerpomp
-
St. Nicholas Church Eastrum (Oostrum)
St. Nicholas Church Eastrum (Oostrum) Oostrum
-
City Brewery and Bonifatius754 Museum
City Brewery and Bonifatius754 Museum Dokkum
-
Boutique Hotel 'Herberg Het Rechthuis'
Boutique Hotel 'Herberg Het Rechthuis' Rinsumageast
-
Hotel Pub Restaurant de Posthoorn
Hotel Pub Restaurant de Posthoorn Dokkum
-
Tollboot "It Driezumer Tolhús" near Dokkum
Tollboot "It Driezumer Tolhús" near Dokkum Driezum
-
it Dreamlân family house
it Dreamlân family house Kollumerpomp
Direct boekbaar
-
it Dreamlân nature campsite
it Dreamlân nature campsite Kollumerpomp
-
St. Paul's Church in Aldtsjerk
St. Paul's Church in Aldtsjerk Aldtsjerk
-
Surhuisterveen (Surhústerfean)
Surhuisterveen (Surhústerfean) Surhuisterveen
-
Strandpaviljoen Meerzicht Beach Pavilion
Strandpaviljoen Meerzicht Beach Pavilion Lauwersoog
-
Memorial stone for Fallen Canadians
Memorial stone for Fallen Canadians
Sunday 15 April 1945, Friesland's official liberation day, was also the day Sneek welcomed the Canadian liberation forces. It had been an exciting day, and the Dutch Domestic Armed Forces (NBS) had fought quite a battle with the occupiers.
A day earlier, German troops had begun to withdraw from Sneek and the NBS had tried to hinder their retreat along the Leeuwarderweg as much as possible. Until a column of German parachute troops had entered the fray and forced the NBS to retreat.
The Waag building in the middle of the city centre was used as a weapons cache by the occupying forces during the war. To prevent it from falling into Allied hands, the fleeing troops set it on fire at around three o'clock on Sunday. Loud explosions and bangs resounded throughout the city for half an hour.
Once the enemy had left the city, the NBS operatives gathered at the HBS school for instructions and the distribution of weapons and armbands. They went into the city to round up traitors. Then, rumour had it that hundreds of German soldiers were on their way to Sneek from Lemmer. Immediately, fortifications were built at the Water gate.
Canadian units were alerted. They were now in possession of the latest defence plans for Sneek thanks to NBS intelligence and were advancing from Joure towards the town.
In the evening around half past seven, the first patrol of the Canadian infantry battalion Le régiment De La Chaudière rode into town with flame-throwers and machine guns. The German troops stayed away, and the full Canadian battalion followed.
Sneek was liberated, but freedom was not yet guaranteed as German troops tried to escape via the Afsluitdijk towards Friesland. The Canadian Regiment of the Queens Own Rifles moved through Sneek to the Afsluitdijk and fiercely fought at Wons. Six Canadian soldiers were killed. They were temporarily buried at Sneek General Cemetery. In 1946, they were reburied at the Canadian Field of Honour in Holten.
Canadian guests
While waiting to return to their homeland, hundreds of Canadian soldiers were lodged with families in Sneek for about five months. On 1 June, the Perth Regiment arrived in the town, which they temporarily renamed Stratford. They were involved in the liberation of Groningen. A committee was set up to entertain the soldiers with various activities. From dances to sailing competitions and special church services.Cordial ties developed between the liberators and the people of Sneek. And sometimes more than that. For Gordon C. Compton and Atty Bouma, one could even speak of "love at first sight". When the last soldiers return home at the end of November, Gordon decided to stay in the Netherlands. On 9 May 1946, he married Atty in Sneek. Not long after, Gordon and his "war bride" left for Canada.
Several monuments in the city recall the special bond with the Canadian military, which remains very close to this day.
Sneek
-
Mem Wedman Hiking Trail
Mem Wedman Hiking Trail Buitenpost
-
Drogehamstermieden Nature Reserve
Drogehamstermieden Nature Reserve Drogeham
-
Beaches at Nieuwe Robbengat
Beaches at Nieuwe Robbengat Lauwersoog
-
Beleef Lauwersoog
Beleef Lauwersoog Lauwersoog
-
National Park 'De Alde Feanen'
National Park 'De Alde Feanen' Earnewâld
-
St Boniface Chapel
St Boniface Chapel Dokkum
-
Holiday Park Bergumermeer
Holiday Park Bergumermeer Sumar
Direct boekbaar
-
WadExpeditions
WadExpeditions Lauwersoog
-
Campground Achterom
Campground Achterom Kollum
-
Botmas
Botmas Engwierum
-
Restaurant Ode
Restaurant Ode Dokkum
-
Oan 'e Dyk
Oan 'e Dyk Paesens
-
Klein Zwitserland Lakeside Beach
Klein Zwitserland Lakeside Beach Sumar
-
Bartlehiem Bridge - Elfstedentocht
Bartlehiem Bridge - Elfstedentocht Wânswert