Location
321 to 352 of 359 results
-
Museum 't Wâldhúske
Museum 't Wâldhúske Houtigehage
-
VIJFHUIZEN AIRMAIL
VIJFHUIZEN AIRMAIL Hallum
-
The Fisherman’s Wife Monument in Moddergat
The Fisherman’s Wife Monument in Moddergat Moddergat
-
Greenjoy Gytsjerk
Greenjoy Gytsjerk Gytsjerk
-
Dijkstra wadlooptochten
Dijkstra wadlooptochten Baflo
-
Suvelfabryk
Suvelfabryk Lioessens
-
Anne-Famkes Pleats Room
Anne-Famkes Pleats Room Stiens
-
Beaches Nieuwe Robbengat
Beaches Nieuwe Robbengat Lauwersoog
-
Surhuisterveen (Surhústerfean)
Surhuisterveen (Surhústerfean) Surhuisterveen
-
Former Infant School
Former Infant School
At the intersection of Voorstraat and Meester Andreaestraat stands the former bewaarschool, or infant school. A bewaarschool was a form of pre-school education in the Netherlands and Belgium during the 19th and early 20th centuries.
The infant school was intended for children between the ages of about three and six, before they entered primary school. The Dutch name literally means a place where children were “looked after” while their parents were at work. In practice, they received basic education, learning skills such as listening, counting, and playing together under supervision. The bewaarschool is regarded as the forerunner of today's daycare centres and preschool programmes.
The infant school in Kollum dates from 1828 and is located on the eastern side of the village. At that time, just as on the western side of Voorstraat, the area around the school was home to many small businesses and craftspeople. There was a farmer with a small slaughterhouse, carpenters lived and worked here, and there was a combined butcher's shop and livestock business, as well as a steam-powered grain mill with an animal feed business. The neighbourhood also included a small wholesale dealer in butter, cheese and buttermilk supplied by the factory at Dokkumer Nieuwezijlen, a liquor store, a blacksmith's workshop and a tailor's shop. On the opposite side of the street from the infant school stood a grocery store and a cigar shop.
Kollum
-
TOP Buitenpost
TOP Buitenpost Buitenpost
-
Logement Nij Bonga
Logement Nij Bonga Holwerd
-
KB Food & Drinks
KB Food & Drinks Dokkum
-
Landal Esonstad
Landal Esonstad Anjum
-
Camping de Kleine Wielen
Camping de Kleine Wielen Leeuwarden
-
Kraanlannen Nature Reserve
Kraanlannen Nature Reserve De Veenhoop
-
De Dikke Draai
De Dikke Draai Surhuisterveen
-
In De Wij
In De Wij Engwierum
-
Hotel It Posthûs
Hotel It Posthûs Burdaard
-
Former Post Office Kollum
Former Post Office Kollum
Although this building is now home to a business, it is well worth taking a look inside this former post office.
Those who look closely can still spot the remains of the old post office within the current premises. The original wooden service counters have been preserved, while the bright red PTT letterbox outside is a reminder of days gone by.
Today it is hard to imagine, but for centuries the postal service was one of the most important means of communication. This main post office was built in 1888 for that purpose. It is one of the few post offices constructed after 1883 that was not designed by the Government Architect for the Northern Netherlands, C. H. Peters, but most likely by the municipal architect H. A. Zondag. The municipality leased the building to the national government. The post office occupied the ground floor, while the postmaster lived upstairs. Following a renovation in 1908, the telegraph and telephone services were also housed here. The post office remained in use until the end of 1972.
Kollum
-
City Walk Dokkum
City Walk Dokkum Dokkum
-
Hotel de ABDIJ Dokkum
Hotel de ABDIJ Dokkum Dokkum
-
it Dreamlân nature campsite
it Dreamlân nature campsite Kollumerpomp
-
Bungalowpark It Wiid
Bungalowpark It Wiid Eernewoude
-
Eanjumer Kolken
Eanjumer Kolken Eanjum
-
WadExpeditions
WadExpeditions Lauwersoog
-
Glamping Mearkas
Glamping Mearkas Eastermar
-
Makkum War Memorial
Makkum War Memorial
By 16 April, the major part of Friesland had been liberated. But some important targets of the Canadians had not yet been achieved. They wanted to win the Frisian ports and the Head of the Afsluitdijk from the Germans as quickly as possible. But they would be hard fought. Both the ports and the Afsluitdijk were used by German soldiers to escape to North Holland.
As elsewhere in Friesland, the Canadians were helped by resistance fighters from the Dutch Domestic Armed Forces (N.B.S.) They suffered several casualties near Makkum. On 16 April, Schelte Bruinsma and Simon Sipma were killed in an attack on a farm in which the Germans had entrenched themselves. The next day, another group tried to occupy a bridge under Makkum. However, the Germans caught sight of them and in the ensuing gunfight, Rinnert Anema, Roelof van der Meer and Hendrik Postma were killed. Makkum was liberated on 18 April, as one of the last villages in Friesland.
The monument at the Buren in Makkum was unveiled in 1952 in commemoration of the members of the Dutch Domestic Armed Forces who were killed around the village during the struggle for liberation.
Makkum
-
Holiday Cottage It Koaiûs
Holiday Cottage It Koaiûs Jistrum
-
Tour de Wadden
Tour de Wadden Lauwersoog
-
Former home-work house ir. Abe Bonnema
Former home-work house ir. Abe Bonnema Hurdegaryp
-
Eastermar Bathing and Play Area
Eastermar Bathing and Play Area Eastermar