Location
289 to 320 of 367 results
-
Memorial stone for Fallen Canadians
Memorial stone for Fallen Canadians
Sunday 15 April 1945, Friesland's official liberation day, was also the day Sneek welcomed the Canadian liberation forces. It had been an exciting day, and the Dutch Domestic Armed Forces (NBS) had fought quite a battle with the occupiers.
A day earlier, German troops had begun to withdraw from Sneek and the NBS had tried to hinder their retreat along the Leeuwarderweg as much as possible. Until a column of German parachute troops had entered the fray and forced the NBS to retreat.
The Waag building in the middle of the city centre was used as a weapons cache by the occupying forces during the war. To prevent it from falling into Allied hands, the fleeing troops set it on fire at around three o'clock on Sunday. Loud explosions and bangs resounded throughout the city for half an hour.
Once the enemy had left the city, the NBS operatives gathered at the HBS school for instructions and the distribution of weapons and armbands. They went into the city to round up traitors. Then, rumour had it that hundreds of German soldiers were on their way to Sneek from Lemmer. Immediately, fortifications were built at the Water gate.
Canadian units were alerted. They were now in possession of the latest defence plans for Sneek thanks to NBS intelligence and were advancing from Joure towards the town.
In the evening around half past seven, the first patrol of the Canadian infantry battalion Le régiment De La Chaudière rode into town with flame-throwers and machine guns. The German troops stayed away, and the full Canadian battalion followed.
Sneek was liberated, but freedom was not yet guaranteed as German troops tried to escape via the Afsluitdijk towards Friesland. The Canadian Regiment of the Queens Own Rifles moved through Sneek to the Afsluitdijk and fiercely fought at Wons. Six Canadian soldiers were killed. They were temporarily buried at Sneek General Cemetery. In 1946, they were reburied at the Canadian Field of Honour in Holten.
Canadian guests
While waiting to return to their homeland, hundreds of Canadian soldiers were lodged with families in Sneek for about five months. On 1 June, the Perth Regiment arrived in the town, which they temporarily renamed Stratford. They were involved in the liberation of Groningen. A committee was set up to entertain the soldiers with various activities. From dances to sailing competitions and special church services.Cordial ties developed between the liberators and the people of Sneek. And sometimes more than that. For Gordon C. Compton and Atty Bouma, one could even speak of "love at first sight". When the last soldiers return home at the end of November, Gordon decided to stay in the Netherlands. On 9 May 1946, he married Atty in Sneek. Not long after, Gordon and his "war bride" left for Canada.
Several monuments in the city recall the special bond with the Canadian military, which remains very close to this day.
Sneek
-
The WasWadpad
The WasWadpad Kollumerpomp
-
Clog museum
Clog museum Noordburgum
-
the guesthouse
the guesthouse Ee
-
Bootverhuur Bonkevaart
Bootverhuur Bonkevaart Leeuwarden
-
Oostmahorn (De Skâns)
Oostmahorn (De Skâns) Oostmahorn
-
Oostmahorn Beach and Play Area
Oostmahorn Beach and Play Area Anjum
-
De 4 Elementen
De 4 Elementen Stroobos
-
Eanjumer Kolken
Eanjumer Kolken Eanjum
-
Buitenpost (Bûtenpost)
Buitenpost (Bûtenpost) Buitenpost
-
B&B De Hoffstee
B&B De Hoffstee Minnertsga
-
Klein Humalda
Klein Humalda Ee
-
Sytzama House
Sytzama House
What is now a grand café has a history closely connected with local government, the Second World War, and Baron Willem van Sytzama, the building's first owner, after whom it is named.
In Van Sytzama's time, there were very few buildings nearby. Instead, a large landscaped garden with extensive ponds stretched out behind the house. Baron Willem van Sytzama believed he was happily married to Cecilia van Heemskerk, but she left him for another man. Although the baron took legal action in an attempt to prevent the separation, he was unsuccessful. She never returned, and he never remarried. In later years, however, the building served as Kollum's town hall, where hundreds of marriages were celebrated.
During the Second World War, Mayor Gerben Feitsma was sworn into office in this building. The ceremony took place with prominent displays of flags and the Nazi salute. For that reason, Feitsma is often described as an NSB (Dutch National Socialist Movement) mayor. At the same time, there is evidence that he occasionally helped prevent residents of Kollum from being sent to Germany for forced labour by employing them on his farm. Because of his wartime record, his name is not always included in historical accounts.
His brother, Jan Feitsma, became notorious for a different reason. As Prosecutor General, he ordered signs reading "Jews Forbidden" to be displayed throughout the occupied Netherlands. The policy caused considerable controversy in Kollum during the war. The local tennis club preferred to close its courts rather than display such a sign. In early 1945, Jan Feitsma was shot dead by members of the Dutch Resistance. His funeral in Kollum was attended by numerous members of the SS.
Kollum
-
De Babbelaar Café in Burgum
De Babbelaar Café in Burgum Burgum
-
Friesland Holland Tourist Information & Travel Service
Friesland Holland Tourist Information & Travel Service Holwerd
-
Cultural and Historical Centre De Schierstins
Cultural and Historical Centre De Schierstins Feanwâlden
-
Alde Feanen Rentals
Alde Feanen Rentals Earnewâld
Tip
-
Fierljeppolder
Fierljeppolder Noardburgum
-
KB Food & Drinks
KB Food & Drinks Dokkum
-
Shipwreck at Wierum (visible at low tide)
Shipwreck at Wierum (visible at low tide) Nes
-
Franeker (Frjentsjer)
Franeker (Frjentsjer) Franeker
-
Koffiebar Knus
Koffiebar Knus Dokkum
-
Camping Hammerslag
Camping Hammerslag Westergeest
-
Vakantiewoning Holwerd
Vakantiewoning Holwerd Holwerd
-
Minicamping De Zilveren Maan
Minicamping De Zilveren Maan De Westereen
-
B&B De Koesfabriek
B&B De Koesfabriek Dokkum
-
Seventy evacuees from Arnhem and Limburg
Seventy evacuees from Arnhem and Limburg
The grave monument in Gytsjerkwas erected in memory of Maria v/d Heuij. Maria was one of seventy evacuees from Arnhem and Limburg who arrived in Gytsjerk on 22 January 1945. Maria died a day later, just a few months old. The harsh conditions during the trip had proved fatal to her. Maria did not live to see the liberation. Fortunately, many of the other evacuees with whom she undertook the journey did.
Symbolism
The monument's spiritual father, artist Klaas Bokma, chose two carts because this was the means of transport often used by evacuees. The four withered trees symbolise death. The cross is not only a symbol of the Christian faith, but also a reminder of the sacrifice made by war victims for a life of freedom.
The oldest pupils of Ichtus and Thrimwalda primary schools take care of this monument.
Gytsjerk
-
Former Post Office Kollum
Former Post Office Kollum
Although this building is now home to a business, it is well worth taking a look inside this former post office.
Those who look closely can still spot the remains of the old post office within the current premises. The original wooden service counters have been preserved, while the bright red PTT letterbox outside is a reminder of days gone by.
Today it is hard to imagine, but for centuries the postal service was one of the most important means of communication. This main post office was built in 1888 for that purpose. It is one of the few post offices constructed after 1883 that was not designed by the Government Architect for the Northern Netherlands, C. H. Peters, but most likely by the municipal architect H. A. Zondag. The municipality leased the building to the national government. The post office occupied the ground floor, while the postmaster lived upstairs. Following a renovation in 1908, the telegraph and telephone services were also housed here. The post office remained in use until the end of 1972.
Kollum
-
BnB Slaap Lekker
BnB Slaap Lekker Dokkum
-
Marina Gytsjerk
Marina Gytsjerk Gytsjerk
-
Glamping Mearkas
Glamping Mearkas Eastermar
-
Teetún De Hollen
Teetún De Hollen Ryptsjerk